Quote of the Day

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Completely and Totally Crazy


Some of you know this but some some of you do not so here it is - I signed up to do a triathlon next year. I think I must be crazy. I don't run, bike or swim. Theoretically, I can run, I can ride a bike and I can swim but not all back to back and certainly for not nearly as long as I will be required to do so.

My real problem lies with the whole running part. I like to bike - I ride a stationary bike at the gym and I like to do programs that have you go up hill. I know that it's not as realistic as riding a real bike up hills but it's a good start. And I enjoy swimming. But running...I HATE to run. It feels like I'm being punished when I run for more than 10 seconds.

I've been going to the gym for the past two months but I have not stepped on the treadmill to do anything other than walk. I normally do some stationary riding, the elliptical machine, or the stairmaster. On, Monday, I decided that it was high time I start at least attempting to run a whole mile. I ran/walked 4 days this week for 30 minutes at a time. My best mile time was 14:27 and my thighs hurt all week. And I've been running on the treadmill at homebecause I'm embarassed to run in front of people at the gym. Pretty pathetic. But I'm kind of feeling empowered - I can run at a faster pace than I used to be able to, for a longer period of time, and more frequently. And my mile time improved every day.

I know that a year ago, I couldn't even walk down the street without being in pain. I would have laughed at anyone who asked me to do a triathlon. Well, frankly, I am still launghing in astonishment at the idea of it all. But I actually think that next year at this time, I will be able to do it.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

I am super excited about being part of this new challenge that started today.

Anonymous said...

I am also excited to find a life style that I have lost for sometime now!
Beth